Welcome

If you haven't received my support letter by email already, please take a minute to read it here.

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

You thought that you knew gross.

But, my friends, I am here to tell you that you don't. Because, you have not used a porter potty on a hot field in Uganda. Trust me, it was nasty and I don't usually get all grossed out by that sort of stuff.

Today, we spent about 4 hours over at the field. We did not end up picking up trash- there was a bit of a logistical problem. Apparently, over here people do not use trash bags. And so we couldn't find any to buy. A few from our team happened to bring trash bags with them, but then we didn't have gloves. It looks like the field might stay dirty.

Most of my time was spent discussing how to get the students registered before entering the field. Basically, we have two gates for everyone. Since the event is focused on the student generation, they have to show some sort of ID to get a wristband. The problem is that the field is right next to slums and when the sound starts up, it is predicted that everyone is going to want in. Add to that the fact that one of the gates is serviced by a path that is 2 people wide at the best parts, and you have a little bit of a logistical nightmare.

The good news is that as of this morning, we have about 8,000 students that have preregistered. Only 12,000 more to go!

I'm having trouble uploading photos but I will try later, for now, I have to go eat dinner.

No comments: