Welcome

If you haven't received my support letter by email already, please take a minute to read it here.

Friday, May 9, 2008

Really? Is there a option?

So I got all of my immunizations over Spring Break at a travel clinic in LaGrange. Since then I have been carrying around the prescription for the malaria medication and the one for traveler's diarrhea (honestly, never thought I would be typing that word on a blog post).

I knew that I had an annual doctor's appointment coming up and so I figured that I would just get them filled at the pharmacy in my doctor's office. Nope. They don't carry the drugs.

So, I went across the street to pharmacy that accepts my insurance. They get all of my information in and start to fill the prescription. But then I got a call to come up to the desk. Apparently, these meds are not covered. Nice.

My guess is that most of you don't take anti-malarial drugs on a regular basis. First of all they are the size of horse pills and second of all, I hear that the side effects may not be great. In addition, the 17 pills that I needed cost 10 bucks a pill!

But what do you do when the pharmacy tech asks if you still want the prescription? Is there really a choice? Who wants malaria?

I told them that I did indeed want my prescription, but since my insurance wasn't going to cover it anyway, I was going to go down the street to CVS. I have brand loyalty. (And by supporting CVS, I feel that I am inadvertently supporting my inheritance. Right, momma?) Plus, I saved 2.50 a pill.

Lesson to learn: next time, you decide to go to Africa, budget for the medication.

2 comments:

Josh said...

Good to know.

Just think, you are taking malaria meds for Jesus.

Julie Tiemann said...

Yikes. Meds are SO expensive. The stuff I'm taking for my morning sickness is like $700 for a one month supply - thank God my insurance DOES cover it, or we'd be up a creek since I've been on it for like five months now!!

So you'll have to explain the CVS inheritance thing to me on Sunday. :)

Hope you have a great week!